Where?

Wed Nov 16 08:47:11 EST 2016

In the early days when westbound trains had to be pushed up Alleghany Mountain, “Balls” was a telegraph office about three miles east of Elliston.  There was a sharp dip in the area which was known as “Balls hole”.  The dip was gradually filled in over the years.

As the westbound grade up to Christiansburg was eased over the years, the westbound pushers were no longer needed.  Neither was the office at Balls.

EdKing