N&W intermediate signals

Wed Nov 16 08:41:13 EST 2016

Jim -

Since the signals at control points (ends of controlled sidings, power crossovers in double track, etc.) would be at “stop and stay”, the signals in advance would be “approach”.  The ones in advance of those would be at :”clear”.    In some rare instances the signal in advance would be at “advance approach” – the signal on the Columbus District coming down into the Cincinnati District junction at Vera, for instance.

When a route was lined up for a train, all the opposing signals would go to “stop” and the signals in advance of the controlled point would go to “clear”, or “approach medium” if a diverging route was lined up,

This was true of the pre-CPL position light signals, too.

EdKing