Ball's Hole signal

Sun Nov 27 23:11:01 EST 2016

Hey Bruce,

The eastward signal at Wilson's would have served as the home signal for
Ball's Hole and was near MP N-275, so I assume the number was 2750.
Assume, because there was no number plate on the signal. I have not seen
signal charts and contrary to track charts, #2750 was a Stop and Stay
automatic, not a Stop and Proceed as called for on track charts, thus
the lack of number plates. This error got me curious enough to ask a
dispatcher and a maintainer about the signal, but to no avail, and I
lacked opportunity/thought to ask senior enginemen acquaintances at the
time.

The break-in-two history and crossover (thank you, Abram) are reason
enough for the Stop and Stay. Also, if a heavy eastbound might have
stalled after stopping on signal at Singer, #2750 would have protected
his rear if in need of a reverse move to get a run at the hill (?). As
the advance signal to the control point at Singer and given recent posts
about idle aspects, #2750's idle aspects were Stop and Stay on the
westbound (reverse) main and Approach on the eastbound.

Grant Carpenter