Thu Dec 15 07:04:14 EST 2016

Last night I had the honor of "Takin' Twenty" with eight of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. Visiting with us from Pennsylvania
was Roanoke Chapter Member, NRHS member Harold Fletcher, who is making his
annual Christmas visit home to Roanoke.

 I asked the Brethren if the VGN had any special decorations in the offices
during the Christmas Season and none recalled any.  Landon said "it was
business as usual".

 Several attending brought items to share.  Landon Gregory brought me a
copy of the recently donated VGN RWY Apprenticeship Certificate to the
Roanoke Station for display by Shirley Fletcher, widow if Arman Fletcher,
the Machinist whose name is on the certificate.  I have posted a copy of
this item on this site under "Skip's Photos".  Harold Castleman donated an
item last night that we will also display at the VGN Station.  It is an
envelope sent from Kenbridge,  VA to Lindsay Robertson Co in Roanoke.  The
interesting part of this item is the post mark:  "NORF. & ROA.  TR 3, APR
24, 1953, R. P. O."

 Jeff Sanders,  President of the Roanoke Chapter NRHS brought a VGN Roanoke
Yard ledger-style Time Book from 1955-1958 that was donated to the Chapter
for display in the VGN Station.  This was donated by Kent Brinkley,
grandson of VGN General Yardmaster Staley B. Brinkley.  Wis Sowder and the
rest of us were able to peruse this book and find many names from stories
told at our "Takin' Twenty" sessions.  Landon Gregory also brought a news
article from the Victoria paper showing a photo of the eleven former
Virginian employees (including Landon) who attended the October 29 reunion
at the Uptown Coffee Cafe this year.

 I was able to show the Brethren the wording that will get the final
editing today in Richmond for a VDOT roadside historical marker about the
VGN Station in Roanoke.  The City of Roanoke is the sponsor of this marker
that will be placed beside Williamson Road in front of our Station.  I also
took a downloaded copy in color of the OCT/NOV/DEC "Turntable Times" that
is mostly about the Grand Opening at the VGN Station last month.

 Then there's this:  A man was pulled over for speeding and the officer
asked to see his driver's license and registration.  "Well, officer, I
don't have a license," said the man "It was taken away for a DUI."  "Do you
have a registration for the vehicle?" asked the officer.  "No.  The car
isn't mine, I stole it. But I'm pretty sure I saw the registration in the
glove compartment when I put the gun in it."  "There's a gun in the glove
compartment?" "Yes, sir.  I used it to kill the car's owner before I
stuffed her in the trunk."  The officer steps away and calls for backup.  Ten
minutes later, his sergeant arrives.  He asked the man for his driver's
license and registration.  The man said "Yes Officer, here it is."  It all
checked out, so the sergeant said "Is there a gun in the glove compartment,
sir?"  The man laughs and opens the glove compartment to show him there's
no gun.  The sergeant asks him to open the trunk:  no body found.  "Sir, I
don't understand," said the sergeant.  "My colleague said you didn't have a
license, the car was stolen, there was a gun in the glove compartment, and
a dead body in the trunk."  The man rolls his eyes and says, "I'll bet he
said I was speeding , too."

 Time to pull the pin on this one.

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon