Structures at west end of St Paul?

Sat Dec 17 21:34:16 EST 2016

Bob -

I don't think there were any structures on the Clinch River Extract Company site at the west end of St. Paul during the time period you are interested in except for the plant's  smokestack that remained until around 1980 when it was demolished as part of St. Paul's redevelopment at that time. Not meaning to plug  a book I co-authored, but there is a discussion of the extract company site on page 132 of the book Norfolk & Western's Clinch Valley Line by Ed Wolfe, Charles Wilson, Jr. and me. If you don't have that book you can purchase it through the Society's Commissary.

When the L&N obtained trackage rights over the N&W between Norton and St. Paul in 1973 a new rail line was constructed at the west end of St. Paul to give the L&N a direct connection to the Clinchfield and Castle yard just south of St. Paul. That is the track you see just east of the Food City store on Google maps.   A photo of that connection in 1973  with a L&N train leaving the Clinch Valley Line for the Clinchfield is on page 312 of our book and there is dense foliage in the immediate area. Another photo of that connection in 1982 is on page 315 of our book also showing dense foliage along the connection.

Hope the above helps.

Paul Mandelkern
Winter Park, FL