Why the "B" for the Manassas to Harrisonburg line

Wed Dec 28 19:57:32 EST 2016

     Back in 1984-5? when Ricky Gates parked his Conrail B36-7 in front
of an Amtrak train on the N.E. corridor, the decision was made to move
this traffic to the Hagerstown gateway between Conrail and Norfolk
Southern. At this time the railroads were offering buyouts and a group
of  RF&P trainmen took the buyout and went to work for NS at Manassas
VA. The unsignaled Harrisonburg branch began an extensive upgrade, part
of which required the use of radio train orders. The former Southern
road crews at Manassas mostly bid on the jobs working on the signaled
line extending from Alexandra to Monroe (Lynchburg).  This left the
Manassas to Riverton Junction jobs mostly to the ex-RF&P trainmen,
(along with some N&W road crews out of Shenandoah who were guaranteed a
certain number of the jobs as the trains worked over N&W to
Hagerstown).  These ex-RF&P guys used the "B" nomenclature when calling
out their train orders over the radio. (The "B" had always been there,
but never used over the radio in SR days).

     Anyway, some railfans began using the "B Line"  in reporting what
they heard/saw.  It was at that time considered to be the mark of a
"novice or rack amateur railfan" . As the old guys taking photos became
fewer and farther between, and the younger "buffs" grew in number, it
fell into common use. They then began calling the Hagerstown line the
"H" line, which is an serious error, as SR has an "H" line in North
Carolina. The rail line between Hagerstown and Shenandoah is officially
known as the "Hagerstown District", while the line extending from
Shenandoah to Roanoke is officially the "Roanoke District".  In my
opinion anybody who used the "H-Line" term should be dragged behind a
track sweeper. Whatever it will be officially the named in the future
remains to be seen.

Mason Cooper