signals and peanuts

Thu Jan 19 10:11:08 EST 2017

In this picture of the 608:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-SLIDES-Norfolk-Western-J-1-class-4-8-4-608-at-Roanoke-Two-original-Gray-/162357421872?hash=item25cd41a730:g:rGEAAOSwZQRYeXAu

a N&W PL signal can be seen behind the loco with a CL signal labeled 8R in
the foreground.  The item description says this shot is at Raonoke, but
couldn't reconcile the CL signal.  Googling the J.B. Worth Peanut Co. from
the background led me to an online copy of Vol. II #1 Dec. 1918 issue of
"The Peanut Promoter" magazine.  This issue has several references to the
company one of which includes a photo of their plant building in
Petersburg, which looks remarkably like the building in the photo.  Of
course,this doesn't absolutely rule out the company having a virtually
duplicate factory in Roanoke, but it does make me strongly question the
photo location information.  My question is whether the PL signal belongs
to another RR and this is a shot at a junction.  If this is the case, what
RR would be joining with the N&W and what city are we actually in?
Thanks,  Jim Cochran