Thu Feb 2 08:08:40 EST 2017

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with five of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. Attending with was local businessman
and Friend of the Virginian Railway, Rae Brown and his lovely wife Linda.
Rae brought to show the Brethren a painting that Linda bought for him by a
local artist, of the J Class 611 the day she was staged for a national ad
campaign in national magazines for Mercades Benz.  We set the painting up
on a table and got a great response from customers, and several joined  us
for the rest of our session.

 For Show and Tell I took the latest NRHS "Bulletin" magazine.  Page 20
"Coal's Rocky Road in Appalachia".. Page 20-21 is a great photo of a
Norfolk Southern coal train crossing the Kanawha River at Deepwater on the
former VGN RWY mainline that is now part of Watco's newly formed Kanawha
River Railroad.

 The ebay report this time includes the following VGN RWY items sold:  VGN
employee timetable #1 New River Division 1918 for $264.99; VGN employee
timetable #1 New River Division 1918 for $169.16; Westinghouse Specs for
the 1925 electrification book $9.99 and Reed and Barton VGN RWY dining car
silver spoon for $103.43.

 I've got another quiz for you from a Requisition on General Storekeeper F.
E. Cooper from Princeton: "Replacement armatures for sirens".  If you are
the first to give me two different applications that the VGN RWY used a
siren, I'll sent you a color photo of the VGN NS Heritage unit that NS
provided for us at the grand opening of the VGN Station in Roanoke.

 I told the Brethren about Virginia Museum of Transportation "Train Lover's
Day" a week from Saturday (2-11-17) from 10 AM to 5 PM.  The Roanoke
Chapter NRHS will give train rides that day.  We are hoping to have our
newest addition to our locomotive fleet, the former AEP SWI from the Glen
Lyn Power plant, as power.

 Last night our discussion about the VGN reached out to the people in the
restaurant.  As we were discussing trains and such, I got a tap on the
shoulder from a lady sitting behind me at the next table.  She said "Excuse
me, may I ask a question?" I immediately asked if we were getting too loud
or bothering her.  She explained "No we come to Country Cookin' often and
now always sit in the back so we can hear about the old Virginian"..

 The Jewel from the Past is from July 23, 2009:  "I passed around to the
Brethren a group of letters from young children to God, sent to me by a
good friend.  One that I liked was from "Mickey D": "Dear God, if you watch
in Church on Sunday I will show you my new shoes".  The Brethren's favorite
was from "Jane":  "Dear God, Instead of letting people die and having to
make new ones, why don't you just keep the ones you got now?"

 Then there's this:  It was February 1 in the groundhog hole.  The
groundhog family was preparing for bed when papa said "I got to get up
early in the morning for groundhog day".  Baby hog said "Papa, what's
groundhog day?"  "It's the day that's halfway between winter solstice and
the vernal equinox," answered papa.  "What's so special about that?" asked
baby hog.  "Well if I see my shadow, we will have six more weeks of
winter", answered papa hog.  "Who is shadow", asked baby hog.  "Is he the
weatherman?"

 Time to pull the pin on this one.

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon