Structure in N&W's Lamberts Point Yard

Tue Mar 14 10:25:51 EDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:16 PM, ​Jack wrote:

Using Google Earth, I looked at N&W's Lamberts Point Coal Yard in Norfolk.  When I zoomed in, I saw two long white structures that coal hoppers pass through on the way to the coal rotaries.  Does anyone know what these white structures are used for?  Thanks,

Not sure, but the weigh-in-motion scale may also be beneath the shed. As a load rolled off the
barney yard, the weigh master would record it as the car entered the thaw shed.  In cold weather,
thawing would cause back-ups and it was possible to have one end of a load on the scale
followed by another hopper that coupling to it.  Never did figure how you get an accurate weight.

In the winter of 1971, even the thaw shed couldn't prevent coal from sticking to the car sides.
An initial dump was made, then the car was rotated back 90 degrees and the M/W forces
got in the hopper with picks to remove the still frozen coal.  One more dump and the car headed
for the kick-back.                                                        Harry Bundy