Domestic coal onesy-twosy

Tue Mar 14 12:06:35 EDT 2017

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 08:26:50 -0400
>
>       Once, nearly every town in the USA and Canada had a dealer or two
> receiving carloads of coal. Can any of you explain how the coal was
> handled mine to retailer? Were certain mines oriented to this trade?
> Were they selling direct to coal yards or did brokers take multi-car
> lots and re-sell in regional areas? (Did N&W coal make it to places like
> Newfoundland and deliver on narrow gauge trucks?) Has this been covered
> in one of the magazine issues?
I can provide one data point. My grandfather sold coal for Old Ben Coal
& Coke, up and down the Valley and into western VA, by the car load to
large users (towns, cities, hospitals, universities, industries, etc.)
and by the car load and bag to retailers. The coal came from Old Ben
mines and he arranged shipping via N&W. It was steam coal to the users
specs.

Bill McClure