Thu Mar 30 08:24:08 EDT 2017

Last night I had the honor of "Takin' Twenty" with five of the Brethren and
Friends of the Virginian Railway. Upon arrival at the Country Cookin'
restaurant, we found a very nice cake with "Happy 13" on it on the table.
The restaurant honored us with the cake for our 13 years of "Takin' Twenty"
there since April 1, 2004.  I have posted a picture on this site under
"Skip's Photos" showing the cake and L-R:  Sava our waitress, Landon
Gregory, Wis Sowder and Gordon Hamilton.  Of course our discussion caused
attention at the restaurant from other diners and we did share some of the
cake.

 The winner of last weeks VGN Heritage unit photo is Mike Dodd of Louisa,
VA for being the first to identify the posted speed limit at VGN RWY grade
crossings in Virginian at 5 mph.  Mike has already received his photo. For
this week's photo of the #1069, be the first to answer this question from
one of last years Reports:  What device used by VGN employees was called a
"twister" and what was it used as?

 As a follow up on the VGN W. R. Coe tugboat, she was re-named the "Deborah
Quinn" and in 2016  was replaced in service by another tug.  The original
W. R. Coe was then offered for sale for $100,000.  Anyone out there have
any new information about this unusual floating piece of the fallen flag?

 The ebay report this time has the following VGN items sold:  44-ton VGN #6
HO brass model sold for $511.60; 8 X 10 color photo, framed of VGN hopper
for $29.99;  1916 VGN annual pass $31.50; 1917 VGN annual pass for $32.00;
VGN short globe lantern with parts missing for $156.00 and a most unusual
homemade heart shape VGN lock for $187.50.

 The Jewel from the Past is from September 3, 2009:  " From a nearby table
a gentleman asked if the Brethren knew Rural Wingo, VGN Carpenter and Car
Inspector.  Ruf and Raymond East remembered Wingo and several friends of
his including Fred McKinnon, VGN Brakeman.  Seems Mr. Wingo was a carpenter
for the MW gang and was only home on weekends.  His son's friends once
asked "Who is that man who comes to your house every weekend and tells you
what to do?"

 Then there's this:  A man was walking down the street when he was accosted
by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked for a
couple of dollars for dinner.  The man took out his wallet, extracted ten
dollars and asked, "If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with
it instead of dinner?"  "No, I had to stop drinking years ago," the
homeless man replied.  "Will you spend this on green fees at a golf course
instead of food?" the man asked.  "Are you NUTS!" replied the homeless
man.  "I haven't played golf in 20 years."  "Well," said the man, "I'm not
going to give you money.  Instead, I'm going to take you home for a hot
shower and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."  The homeless man was
astounded.  "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that?"  The man
replied  "That's OK.  It's important for her to see what a man looks like
after he has given up drinking and golf."

 Time to pull the pin on this one.

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon

 DCXLV