Steam generator operations

Wed Apr 12 09:05:52 EDT 2017

I put this question to Ray Forbes, our "go to" man when we had problems with the steam generators in the 60s.  His answer is "either and sometimes both were on line during extreme cold or when one was not working properly.  Normally the lead generator was on line so the engineer and fireman could monitor.

Skip Salmon
---- NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

When passenger trains were operated behind more than one GP9, which locomotive's steam generator would be active?  Did it even matter?  Were more than one active steam generator ever used / necessary?

Thanks,
Brent