"DO" and "WB" Interlockings in Roanoke

Mon May 15 12:03:08 EDT 2017

I think I am remembering this correctly! Jimmy did a good job with his description and location of "DO". Although, I am thinking that "West Roanoke" was the first signal controlled by the New River Dispatcher. That means that "DO" (now Roanoke Dispatcher) controlled movement onto the "Freight Runner" (the switching lead at the west end). "DO" also controlled movements to and from the Main Line (Main 2) to and from the west end of the Empty Side Yard. There was a "short block" which allowed room for moving light engines , etc. to and from the "Empty Side Yard" and the Main 2. This was a "see/saw" move through what was called "23 Crossover", controlled by "DO".  If more room was needed, or to allow a train to move through that area, the New River Dispatcher would have to be contacted to line up that route and set up the signals (West Roanoke) for such movement. Movement west off of the west end of the "Freight Runner" was also controlled by "New River".

"WB" was the large bridge signals that controlled movements in and out of the extreme west end of Roanoke Terminal.
Jeff Sanders

 Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 10:52 AM
 Subject: Re: "DO" and "WB" Interlockings in Roanoke