Bluefield

Wed May 24 10:22:02 EDT 2017

Carl Woods-
I can't say I know all the answers, but Bluefield seems to have been primarily reduced
to a crew-change point.  It seems that coal traffic has impacted Bluefield yard more
than merchandise traffic.  Twenty-five years ago (or so), some coal was scaled at Bluefield,
but with the weigh-in motion scale (known as the "weigh and spray" by railroaders)
near Celco, there's no reason to scale at Bluefield anymore,  Doubling over and testing
air at East Yard was a time-consuming operation, but now coal trains stop at Flat Top, set
off and/or pick-up coal, and are pushed to Bluefield to change crews.  Even coal from the
Clinch Valley is diverted at Cedar Bluff to operate via  Iaeger  then to Flat Top.
                                                                                    Harry Bundy