Iced A/C passenger cars

Fri May 26 01:05:43 EDT 2017

The Pennsylvania Railroad was the largest operator of ice activated air conditioning systems.  In the January 1953 issue of The Official Register of Passenger Train Equipment I found over 200 PRR heavyweight sleeping cars with ice ac, as well as 17 dining cars.  Large numbers of P70 coaches had ice ac.  I think the coaches which lasted in service up to the 1970's were converted to electro-mechanical ac.  No lightweight cars ever had ice ac.

When the nationwide airline strike happened summer of 1966, the railroads were faced with a sudden increase of passengers.  Not knowing what to expect the first day of the strike, B&O added some spare sleeping cars in Washington's coach yard to the Capitol Limited.  One was PRR "Octagon House" a 13 bedroom heavyweight.  When the train reached Cumberland, MD 125 miles west of Washington, the carmen there could not figure out how to ice the car.

--Rick Morrison
  Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 9:32 AM
  Subject: Re: Iced A/C passenger cars

  According to John White's "The American Railroad Passenger Car" an ice system used 500 lbs. of ice/hour per car. 4,500 lbs. of ice were needed every 360 miles or 9 hours. The loading the 300 lb blocks of ice were labor intensive and a costly storage expense. While an ice system cost far less than a mechanical one, the day to day operation was 5 times greater than mechanical systems. By 1945 very few cars were entering service with ice systems, and existing ice cooled cares were being rapidly converted to mechanical systems.

      WJPowers