RE Scrap Metal Value of N&W Big Steam (NW Mailing List)

Tue Jun 6 11:57:17 EDT 2017

Jack

I don't have exact dates on anything like the scrapping. It was usually a
several day process, and depending on how quickly the scrappers needed to
clear their line based on more arriving. Sometime they would simply cut the
top half of the boiler out, then back in line for later, sometimes all the
way down.

In the book "Three Times a Lady" page 31, you will see several John
Killoran photos of scrapping at M.D. Friendman in Portsmouth, Ohio, one
identified by the chalked number and intact number boards is 601 in
Portsmouth, which I think was identified as August 5, 1959. The 601 and 613
were both officially retired on March 27, 1959 at Portsmouth, Ohio.

I'll try and find some prices the railroad received from scrapping
locomotives.

Ken Miller

Moderator: