road crossing accidents during age of steam

Mon Jun 19 16:59:49 EDT 2017

I was thinking about a picture I saw a few years ago of one of the A class
lying on it's side after a road-crossing accident. It made me think of
something I've always wondered about, which is how often did that happen in
the age of steam, and how often would a locomotive be derailed? What would
the engine crew do during the accident; could they just hang on until
everything quit moving? How frequent were fatalities from such an accident?

Thanks,

Mike Weeks
Seattle