Questions related to Caboose Brakes...CF and CG...

Sun Jul 9 15:59:54 EDT 2017

Hello, NW Mailing and NW Modeling Groups,

I'm sending this to both as I'm not sure who will best be able to answer my questions so here we go.

1st When did N&W start converting its cabooses from Triple K Brakes to AB-Brakes? The CF Caboose was built in 1914+ with Triple "K" Brakes and then were modernized to AB or sold as is. Do we know when the change over took place?

2nd The N&W CG caboose was built in 1927+ with the Triple "K" Brake  when were they converted to AB brake? The CH Cabooses were built in 1940 with AB brakes but in the "N&W Caboose" book nothing is mentioned about what type of brakes the CF and CG were built with or when they were up graded. The N&W Mechanical Drawings show that Both N&W CF and CG were built with Triple "K" valves and must have later been upgraded. I find it hard to believe that N&W would have a drawing from 1942 for an upgrade program to update the Ex-CF cabooses on the Winston Salem Southbound before they even took care of there own cabooses as the drawings reflect in 1945. Is this just one of those cases where the drawings were produced after the work was performed.

Also this implies that the N&W built the CH caboose in 1940 and didn't upgrade the rest of the available cabooses for some years to AB Brakes

CF Caboose N&W Mechanical Drawing for the AB Brake as applied to Cushioned under frames shows a drawing date of 1945

CF Caboose N&W Mechanical Drawing for the AB brake as applied to Rigid Frame caboose shows a drawing data of 1945

CF Caboose N&W Mechanical Drawing for the AB Brake upgrade for the WSS CF's show a 1942 drawing date?

(Does this mean that all N&W CF cabooses ran with Triple valves from 1914+ till the 1940's)

CG Caboose N&W Mechanical Drawings for AB Brake upgrade is dated 1945 as well

(Does this mean all N&W CG cabooses ran with Triple valves from 1927 till the 1940's)

Any clarification that can be provided will be appreciated.

Thank you

Steve in Roanoke