N&W locomotive fuel coal

Thu Jul 20 19:41:02 EDT 2017

Harold,

>From the coal tests on comparing various coal sizes in 1947, the BTU content was right at 14,000 BTUs with about 8 percent ash.  There were some 18 round trip runs between Roanoke and Bluefield and coal came mostly from one mine; all chemical analysis were very close.

Bud Jeffries

Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:25 PM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Subject: N&W locomotive fuel coal

I am looking for the BTU content of the coal used by the N&W for road locomotive fuel. For example, the Union Pacific used fuel coal with 11,800 BTU's per pound in their road locomotives. Using a general rule for comparing West Virginia coal to Wyoming coal, the N&W fuel coal should be at least one- third, or more, more volatile.  Any coal experts out there?  Harold Davenport