Huger Middle Track

Fri Oct 27 11:59:27 EDT 2017

Mr. Woods,

Huger Middle Track has been and appears to still be used as a storage
track. I'm not sure how this is currently worked, but based on this and
similar locations in the past, the track arrangement suggests westbounds
can set off empty hoppers by a trailing-point move from the #2 (former
westbound) main and eastbounds can pick up loads by a trailing-point
move from the #1 (former eastbound) main. The mine run can show up as
just a light engine and swap empties for loads between the middle track
and outlet track.

Ironically, this middle track used to have an unusually elaborate
arrangement on the west end and was kept busy serving three adjacent
tipples. I believe the one current tipple is referred to as "Maitland"
and is on the site of the former Lake Superior Coal Co., Operation #3,
next to the westbound main. The former Maitland Colliery was on the same
side just to the west past the next curve and the former Lake Superior
#4 was across from #3, next to the eastbound main.

The middle track's west end had the usual crossover to the westbound
main, but had a double crossover to the eastbound main, just west of the
#4 outlet switch. Both Superior tipples only shipped west (lake) coal,
so the double crossover made it easy to pull loads directly from #4
outlet across the eastbound main to the westbound. The mine run could
set them over into the middle track along with loads from #3 for
westbound River crews to pick up on their return to Williamson. River
crews could also pull loads directly from the two Superior tipples if
the middle track was full or if a tipple might get blocked off.

Maitland loaded raw coal and when it shipped east to Bluestone, the mine
run would shove these "short" loads into the east end of Huger for
eastbound Elkhorn crews to pick up on their way back to Bluefield. When
the mine run worked out of Eckman, they could also return with east
loads for forwarding from Eckman Yard and free up more capacity at Huger.

Westbound Elkhorn crews set off empties in Huger for the mine run to
deliver all three tipples.

When the lakes froze over, Superior stopped shipping and stockpiled
coal. The resulting capacity in the middle track was used for storing
coal from other tipples.

Grant Carpenter