Y2 Builder Plates

Mon Feb 26 15:43:38 EST 2018

John,

Evidently when Roanoke converted the original Y-2’s, a second builders plate was added noting the upgrade and reclassification to Y-2a.  The builder numbers did not change but the change involved major changes to the boiler, running gear and steam distribution system (including totally new front LP cylinders) based on experienced gained in service.  The 1705-10 were built with these changes.   Roanoke Shops added a second builder plate to each engine converted and this is unusual but was done for whatever the reason by the railway.  If I get what data was on the second plate I will let you know.

Bud Jeffries