Steam Operations Around Norfolk

Thu Jul 5 16:26:14 EDT 2018

Harry,
When I was a kid ,I used to ride my bike to the long-abandoned coach yard that was across the street from the Norfolk Terminal Station. The station was long-gone by that time, and the beautiful marble floor was being used as a parking lot.
Although empty,the Jack Frost Sugar building was still standing along Lovitt Avenue, which ran between the yard and the former station.   Attached to it was a former N&W building, also empty. You may remember, those two buildings were later used as the Norfolk Farmer’s Market.
Through one of the windows on the former N&W building, I spotted an old 1962 calendar that featured black GP9’s.
Since I used to go to the old yard almost every Saturday when school was in session, and any random day during Summer vacation, there was often evidence of different cars that had been spotted in the yard. I was not aware at the time that the yard had ever been used as a coach yard.
One particular day, a tender was there  as part of a MOW train. I was so excited, I thought I had found the  holy grail. I just wished at the time that the steam locomotive had still been attached to the tender.

James Flummer