Forty years ago

Tue Jul 10 11:41:46 EDT 2018

Harry

Yes.  I had never taken a two week vacation until the week of July 10,
1978.   On that day we got up 6 am and heard the N&W was on strike.  I
told my wife not to answer the phone.  We left for a 2 week vacation to
Florida.   We got a motel in Florida and turned on the TV.   For 2 weeks
there was little news on the N&W strike.  Had a wonderful 2 week vacation.

Got back to Roanoke on the 23rd and found the strike was still on.  Then
on the 24th I reported back to the office.  There were pickets in front
of the office and I headed to the second floor in an empty elevator.
There were very few people on the second floor.  I knew it was just a
matter of time before the ax would fall.

After about 2 hours the few of us left were sent to GOB East to work in
zone revision to help the famous Bobby Watson audit the way bills and
get freight bills sent to the customers.  For the rest of the strike I
worked in GOB East.

With the money we were generating and the amount we were getting from
the strike fund it was possibly the most profitable time of the N&W. I
might add at the end we were working 8 to 5 and keeping up the freight
billing.

It would be several years later that I had to get on a charted flight to
Cleveland and head to Toledo for the Transportation Department.  I might
add on my flight they had to kick several people off due to weight
restrictions.  Then, we only cleared the fence at the end of the runway
by a few feet.

Jungle Jim or Jim Blackstock