Forty years ago

Thu Jul 12 08:37:40 EDT 2018

I'll never forget...82 days that lasted about 5 years.  I was brought in to Shaffers crossing to instruct brand new engineers how to operate the Alco 630 slug masters with two slugs.  This lasted a day and then I was flown to Bellevue where I thought I was going to operate such yard movements.  I was mistaken when I was found out to actually have road service experience was handed a stack of bills and told to report to get a set of road locos for a trip to Buffalo.  First trip with Carl Carbo as my helper took over 30 hours.  For the next 80 days I took 55 trains, mostly out of Bellevue: about half to Buffalo and half to Chicago.  I learned to take my suitcase and all the food and drinks I could carry on every trip.  I also took one train from Detroit to Toledo in "dark territory" and found out what train orders are really for.  Hurrah for  the VGN!  Ran over a lot of cross ties, one aluminum boat near Lake Erie somewhere and was able to watch Welch's grapes being picked and the grea
 t smell of Welch's grape jelly being made.  Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.....

Skip

>     On 7/10/2018 9:31 AM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List wrote:
>

>     July 10, 1978 -- with respect to all N&W employees, do you remember where
>     you were that day ?  Skip ?  Jungle Jim ? Jimmy ?   Me ?  the Travel Bureau
>     had booked a flight for me Roanoke - Fort Wayne, and I had reserved a motel
>     room to layover for a drive to Montpelier the next day.  About 4 PM, word from
>     the Supt. of Transportation was transmitted -  "Nobody goes anywhere."  But
>     that night instead of Fort Wayne, I was on a chartered flight to Cleveland.
>                                                                                        Harry Bundy
>

>     Let's just say that, even though I was in transportation, this is a sore spot for me and I do not care to discuss the matter.
>
>     Jimmy Lisle

SKIP SALMON