Change of Gauge

Thu Aug 2 08:11:51 EDT 2018

Change of Gauge
Punctuation is everything. Robin Adair wrote the article in The Richmond Dispatch. He had no involvement in the change of gauge (that I know of).
Peter R. R. Getz

Change of Gauge
Stephen Warren,

When I was researching the change of gauge I found that The Richmond Dispatch, of May 30, 1886, had a lengthy and detailed description of the pending change and how it would be accomplished by Robin Adair. It can be accessed through chroniclingamerica.gov (free site). The major change was the 400 miles from Norfolk to Bristol. It was broken into six mile segments in the mountains and ten men on the level with 29 men per crew and the south rail was moved inward. The job took 1,800 men and was to be completed in 13 hours. The New-River branch was changed the Saturday before the main route was and the City Point branch was done the day after the main route.

The Richmond Dispatch carried short article on May 1, 6 and 25 but they have noting the May 30th doesn't have.

Peter R. R. Getz