a question about drawings in our archives

Mon Aug 6 07:02:07 EDT 2018

Good morning from the other side of the pond.

This is an interesting observation. The drawings of locos, railcars and
passenger vehicles in my treasured 1947 Locomotive Cyclopaedia (Simmons
Boardman) are real works of art and I assume originally drawn out by hand.
How these were ultimately reduced for inclusion in a book is a mystery. The
patient man hours that went into the development of these drawings must have
been staggering but they are all meticulous.

In relation to speculative designs I suspect that quite a lot of this sort
of activity went on to sketch out what might be feasible/possible/desirable.
I have in my office a drawing of a Baldwin Duplex that became the basis of
the T1s on the Pennsy and a souped up Mallard type A4. It would have been
neat to see both in reality.

Regards

Phil Mortimer

PS Was there ever any evidence of follow on designs for the A Class or the
Y6b?

NW Mailing List