Railroad nicknames origins and such

Thu Sep 6 12:38:24 EDT 2018

During engineer school I was taught BNSF stands for Better Not Set Fifteen.
Setting fifteen pounds of air (or more) at once without coming to a stop is considered poor train handling and will trigger an automatic download of the locomotive telemetry recorded during the trip. So any other mistake you've made during the trip will be caught.
Another one heard in Tulsa: Been Nothin' Since Frisco.
For CSX I was always fond of ChickenS*** eXpress, but my brother turned me onto Crash Spill eXplode, which has a certain ring to it.

Ryan Harris