Peavine train numbers

Fri Sep 21 12:16:57 EDT 2018

True story. I recently read the promotion of that contest in several of my dads 1930’s N&W Employee magazines, and reports on the same (and the eventual winners) in contemporaneous Circleville Herald newspaper articles.

Does that line up with your mother’s elementary school times?

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

Good morning!
Various members of my family worked on the N & W, so I have heard stories all my life about the railroad.  One of the things my mother used to tell me that when she was in elementary school (in Welch, WV),  the railroad held a contest for the kids to help name the new trains.  That's when someone suggested the  Powatan Arrow and Pocohontas names, which the N & W adopted.
Now I know that family stories aren't always accurate,  but they sure can be interesting,  if nothing else!

-Tracy Foutz
Formerly N&W in Roanoke, now ACL in Cairo, GA