WHO WERE THEY - W. B. Bevill, Passenger Traffic Manager

Wed Sep 26 14:40:28 EDT 2018

From N&W Magazine, October 1929, page 744
W. B. Bevill Passes On
Our Retired Passenger Traffic Manager Died In Roanoke On September 14

THIRTY THREE YEARS AGO, in recording the inscription 1 of the name of Walter B. Bevill, passenger traffic manager, upon the Honor Roll of the Norfolk and Western Railway, the MAGAZINE had the following to say:

"On March 1 (1926), the Norfolk and Western lost one of its oldest and best beloved officers, W. B. Bevill, passenger traffic manager, whose name has been added to the Honor Roll and yet more deeply in the hearts of his co-workers after 43 1/2 years of continuous, loyal service to the railroad and to his hosts of friends.

"Mr. Bevill was more than an officer of the railroad; cataloging his career as a passenger traffic executive tells but part of the story of his life. He was first, last and always a friend, a helper, unselfish and kindly. Every movement to help others; every drive to provide facilities, food, clothing and assistance to the unfortunate received his hearty approval, expressed generously and often. His office, for many, many years, has been open to any member of the Norfolk and Western Family. His sympathetic help; his mature advice; his rich experience was available to all for.the asking."

That, in some measure, tells of Mr. Bevill's life and character as a man. It is fitting to repeat that eulogy here. On Saturday afternoon, September I4, after a lingering illness of several months, Mr. Bevill passed on. Since his retirement he had made his residence at Hotel Roanoke where he was a familiar figure. His death was expected, nevertheless, it brought a sense of irreparable loss and sadness to the many members of the Norfolk and Western Family, who had known him and worked with him.

Mr. Bevill was a man who was identified with the Norfolk and Western so widely and so deeply that his name was attached inseparably to the spirit of the railway's service. His insight into the passenger traffic matters of his day was keen and his advice was sought constantly not only by members of his own organization but by those of others as well. He began his career with the Norfolk and Western early enough to contribute much to its progress. His ability as a railroad executive and his high standing as a worthy citizen were acknowledged by all.

This statement is borne out by an editorial which appeared in the Roanoke World News of September 16, an excerpt from which follows:

"Roanoke lost a sterling citizen in the death of Mr. Bevill. During the years of his retirement, as during the longer years of active connection, he occupied a position with the Norfolk and Western system that was inadequately stated by the mere title of his oilice. He grew up with the railroad · and was an integral part of it. To it he gave a lifetime of devoted and intelligent service. To a generation of its officials, employees and patrons, he was an advisor and friend. In the business life of Roanoke he was one whose judgment was sound and whose counsel was sought

His intimate friendships with railroad men throughout the country gave him widespread points of contact, and even after his retirement, on reaching the age of 70 years, on March 1, 1926, he continued as the valued advisor and consultant of many of his associates in the conduct of a rapidly growing railroad property. The Norfolk and Western loses one who contributed to its upbuilding through nearly half a century more than all save those who were in the closest contact with him will ever know."

That editorial comment, coming as it does from the pen of a writer who is not a railroad man, reflects most truthfully the high valuation and the real esteem in which Mr. Bevill was held in the minds and hearts of the citizens of Roanoke. It reflects not only the tenor of their feelings but also of all who knew him.

Mr. Bevill came to Roanoke in 1883, as chief clerk to the general passenger agent, and since that time had done much to aid in the advancement of the civic interests of Roanoke. Next to the welfare of the railway he held the betterment of the city which the railway had built closest to his heart. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the Shenandoah Club, of Roanoke, which he organized.

Mr. Bevill was born in Richmond, Va., 73 years ago, on February 24 1856, and was educated in a private school in that city. He first entered railway service on May 31, 1873, as a clerk in the general freight agent's office of the Richmond and Danville Railroad, at Richmond. He was then 17 years old. In November, 1875, he was transferred to the general passenger agent's office of the same road. Five years later, on September IS, I 880, he was appointed chief clerk to the general passenger agent of the Associated Railways of Virginia and the Carolinas with headquarters at Richmond. On October I, I 882, he moved to Lynchburg as chief clerk to the general passenger agent of the Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia Air Line (composed of the Norfolk and Western, Shenandoah Valley and East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railways). In June, I 883, when the general offices of the Norfolk and Western Railroad were moved from Lynchburg to Roanoke, Mr. Bevill was also transferred under A. Pope, who was at that time general passenger and ticket agent.

PASSING through the various consolidations and 1 reorganizations which featured the early history of the Norfolk and Western, Mr. Bevill remained as chief clerk to Mr. Pope until March I, I 886. On that date, Charles D. Eddy, who came to the Norfolk and Western in October, I885, as "vice-president in charge of commercial interests" (corresponding to the present vice-president in charge of traffic) effected a reorganization of the entire Traffic Department, and placed Mr. Pope in charge of the freight department of the railroad as general freight agent. Immediately following this change, Mr. Bevill was selected by Mr. Eddy as the man most capable of succeeding Mr. Pope and he was made general passenger agent on March 1, I 886, continuing in this capacity until' December I, I 9 I 2, when he was appointed passenger traffic manager.

The last rites for Mr. Bevill were held in Richmond, Va., where his remains were interred in Hollywood Cemetery. A number of his co-workers from Roanoke and other points on our line attended the funeral.

Ken Miller