AM&O Martins/Pulaski - 3 Foot Ga. Railroad in 1879

Tue Oct 30 14:02:01 EDT 2018

There is a good history of Pulaski (originally Martin's Tank) in
the Pulaski Southwest Times newspaper archives
https://newspaperarchive.com/pulaski-southwest-times-aug-13-1939-p-33/

There is a paragraph on the Altoona mine and the narrow gauge in
the article.  The motive power was "a saddle bag 'dinky'"..."named
'Cynthia'."

A bit more information can be found at
http://www.wvrailroads.net/index.php/Altoona_Coal_%26_Iron_Company

The narrow gauge roadbed between Pulaski and Robinson Tract was converted
into a local road which is appropriately named "Altoona Road."  It then
changes its name to Brookmont Road.

The Altoona mines were located near the foot of Little Walker Mountain
near Robinson Tract road.  There is a local stream named Altoona
Branch which is near the mines location.

I recall riding my bicycle as kid out in that area in the late 70s or
early 80s and you could still see the old mine entrances at that
time.

Toney Minter
former Pulaski part time paper boy