Military Train

Wed Nov 7 20:52:18 EST 2018

 Attached are some photos I took in 1971 of the Vietnam RR (built of course
by the French and largely stocked with French equipment).  They include the
DaNang Station, a turntable (hand powered), a passenger car with the
resulting damage from a mine on the tracks, various engines in operation, a
shot inside the loco repair shop, and a tender with damage from rounds.
Quality is not great, but since I am scanner-challenged, my wife took them
with her camera.   I have a multitude of images from the last AD RR BN in
the USArmy at Ft. Eustis, as one of my duties was Publicity Officer for the
battalion.  I intend to send these to the Ft. Eustis, VA, museum later this
year.

Those of you that have been there up north and convoyed from DaNang to Phu
Bai or Quang Tri, may remember the old French watch tower and bunker at the
top of the Hai Van Pass before descending onto Hgwy 1 heading north.  I
went on a trip there in 1997 and they both are still there.

Ed Svitil
former lLT, 264th Trans Co, RVN / 2LT, 714th TBROS&DE, Ft. Eustis, VA

Moderator: