N&W E2a 578 double header in New York Times?

Tue Nov 13 09:45:25 EST 2018

From N&W Magazine, June 1957

This was an excursion trip, May 4, 1957 sponsored by the Southern Region of the NRHS, it was not necessarily marketed as a “Farewell to Steam”. The group came out of Washington DC onFriday, May 3 in a special coaches on The Birmingham Special, Pullman passengers came out of DC that night on the Pelican.

They left Roanoke early Saturday morning via the Cavalier and met up with 30 or so more folks from the west at Bluefield. The additional cars were added to No. 5 for the trip on the Clinch Valley and returned as No. 6 that evening. The cars were switched over to the Cavalier and back to Roanoke. Then after some rail fanning on Sunday morning, the cars were put on the Tennessean for return to DC.

Ken Miller