N&W boxcars without doors

Mon Nov 26 19:26:51 EST 2018

On a different list, Jim King commented on seeing N&W shipping lime in 40 foot boxcars with the doors entirely removed.

>From his memory, they travelled in blocks headed (I think) to Norfolk (ports?).  Cars were usually PS-1 boxes, most still wearing steam era lettering.  Lime was heaped into the ends but he could see what it was as the cars went by.  Not a typical “dust storm” like from open-top gons.

Can anyone from this group identify specific cars that were used in such service? Were other classes used this way prior to the B8's (with doors removed)? Does anyone have some photo they could share?

Sincere thanks,
Brent