Past Holiday Traffic

Thu Nov 29 13:34:47 EST 2018

My guess is that "express coaches" should read "express cars." Whoever wrote the article did not understand that "coach" is specific rather than generic. I have no guess about the dressed fowl, but "several tons" is a rather vague description. Still, eight express cars would hold several tons.
Jim Nichols

 While looking through the newspaper archives at the Library of Virginia (https://virginiachronicle.com/) I ran across this brief mention of holiday traffic just over 100 years ago.
Several questions pop up from this: what was an "express coach" in 1915? Where did "several tons" of dressed fowl come from and where were they processed? Was there a packing house in Roanoke or did they come from various other points?
Bruce in Blacksburg--------------
World News, Volume 26, Number 149, 22 December 1915, pg. 1

N. & W. HAS HEAVY HOLIDAY EXPRESS
The express shipments over the Norfolk & Western are said by officials to be the heaviest in years. Every train carries extra express coaches. Last night a special express train of eight coaches left Roanoke for Washington and other Northern points. The shipments consisted chiefly of dressed fowl, amounting to several tons.