Tonnage Ratings and Weather Reductions for Locomotives

Wed Dec 26 21:20:48 EST 2018

Grant,

I hoped you would chime in on this. I did look in Pokey ETT thru 1963. Tonnage reduction charts continued to be included. So as you say it was not a function of steam or diesel (or electric). I suspect it was more a function of friction bearings. Whether these charts (or ETT) were adhered to or not is another matter. Operating management at some point obviously thought tonnage reduction was important. It would be interesting to see when the temperature charts switched from being tonnage based to being train length based.

Merry Christmas indeed.

John Garner