NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 169, Issue 6

Mon Jan 7 18:09:12 EST 2019

Track gauge change
________________________________
Recently a post gave a first person account of the track gauge change (I apologize for not remembering who posted it. It was facinating) As I continue to research R.P.C. Sanderson I came across the following in Railway Master Mechanic, Vol. 24, No. 2, February 1900, p. 101.

Mr. R.P.C. Sanderson, master mechanic of the Norfolk & Western, at Roanoke, Va. has been appointed assistant superintendent of machinery of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, vice Mr. George A. Hancock resigned.

Mr. Sanderson entered railway service in 1882 as draftsman on the Norfolk & Western Railroad, with supervision of erection of buildings and machinery at Roanoke Shops. He was afterwards draftsman on locomotive and car work, inspector of supplies and materials and new equipment, and also engaged on experimental and test work; subsequently he was made assistant to the superintendent of motive power of the same road, in special charge of gauge work and later in charge of general change of road and shop work. In 1891 he was appointed division superintendent of motive power of the western general division of the same road. On Fe. 1, 1895, he was placed in charge of maintenance of locomotives and cars for the entire line. Of late he has been master mechanic of the same road, at Roanoke. Mr. Sanderson is noted as a bold and original thinker, and as an aggressive participator in club and convention work.

In a Roanoke City Directory there was a listing that said R.P.C. had also served as paymaster at the Roanoke Shops also.

Peter R. R. Getz