Rohrer Mine Bridge

Mon Jan 21 09:44:26 EST 2019

Peter,
This set of photos helps to clarify how the stone pier and abutments were
laid out for the first steel bridge. I can only presume they were replacing
some sort of wooden bridge across the river, and - if so - how was that
structure insufficient in some way? Were engines used to drive across the
first bridge, or was there a conveyance system to just pull one hopper of
washed ore across at a time? I really have a whole new set of questions, as
a result of seeing these photos. Thank you very much for posting these.

In a set of photos at the Historical Society of Western VA archives, these
stone edifices were shown as being left in the river when larger steel
girders were put in place in 1911. This second steel bridge I'm referring
to was canted slightly to the west of this first steel bridge. The late
historian Raymond Barnes wrote about the various bridge structures at this
place, as I described in my other email. Your photos are invaluable in
helping to tell this story.

Stephen Warren
Roanoke