W. E. Hill

Wed Jan 23 14:06:11 EST 2019

Lynn

I found this reference in the N&W company magazine:

October 1959 issue, page 497. A photo and caption on his retirement, but giving no real details other than his last run was August 30.

I suspect there are others, but it takes time to check them out. I found one other that was in the February 1924 issue, which might be him:

Shenandoah Division
Credit entries have been made upon the records of Engineer C. E. Wooden and Fireman W. E. Hill for their alertness on the night of December 19, when in charge of Extra 1327. They discovered an obstruc­tion on the track at the second crossing south of Compton bridge. Emergency brakes were applied and upon investigation it was found to be an automobile driven by an unknown intoxicated man who had apparently missed the road crossing straddled the west rail and run north on the track for some distance.

Ken Miller