Swearer recordings

Fri Feb 1 08:20:49 EST 2019

 Bud said that he had to destroy the field tapes became they were deteriorating.  So without doubt, they're gone.  He apparently made "master" cassette tapes from the field tapes under "one last pass" pressure.  Some of them broke in the process and had to be repaired to finish the copy cassette.  He then made his commercially available cassettes from the copies.  These haven't been found either.  So... I'm afraid you're correct.  All that remains are the copies he sold.

Dave Stephenson

 I found info on Bud Swearer doing a Google search which led me to the
Railway Preservation list and several email exchanges.  IIRC, Bud did not
make arrangements for his goodies to be disposed of thru an estate sale or
donation and that a relative, supposedly, handled the estate distribution.
According to 1 of the texts, no one knows where the original tapes ended up,
assuming not in the trash.  Copies that he sold thru the years are likely to
be all that remains.

Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com