Richlands coaling tower?

Sat Mar 2 07:41:51 EST 2019

Jim,

Given the Southern head end cars, including a Southern RPO, I think No. 45 is likely. Also, No. 15 usually had six or so head end cars west of Roanoke and the train in this picture has only three. However, in early afternoon when No. 45 passed Vicker the sun would be on the camera side of the train which does not appear to be the case in this picture, unless obscured by a cloud.
Other thoughts?

    Ray

Sent from my iPad

I don't think the train in the Photo at Vicker is No. 45. I vote for 15.

Jim Nichols

It is most certainly Vicker. Thanks to Bruce who supplied the date of 1951 for the installation.

The white structure Norris is referring is the chemical storage/water softener plant on the north side of the tracks.

Look closely at this view:

http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=141839

This view looks west, and is in February, so the jungle is not grown up as of yet. Note the softener plant on the right, the brick pump house on the left, both visible in the ebay slide. Also of note on the left the embankment from the lead track to the old coal wharf.

Remember, that the old coal wharf had to remain in place until the new one was in service, it was built, by my calculations about 300 feet west of the original structure. As soon as the new place was safely in service, the old one would have been dismantled. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a photo with both in place, as it was probably only a period of a couple of weeks.

Best
Ken Miller