East End Tower, Roanoke, in 1895

Thu Mar 7 13:52:10 EST 2019

I do remember in the late 50's there were two bridges over Rt. 460.  Heading east out of Roanoke the first bridge was for the Shenandoah line to Roanoke.  The next bridge perhaps 75 feet east on 460 carried a track to the East End of the Shops that ran behind American Bridge Works and the old scrap wharf.  Not sure if this track ever connected with the lines to the Norfolk Division at the East end of Roanoke Shops.  But if Tinker Creek Jct. is any indication, there was a connection.  No idea what it would have been used for other than American Bridge traffic.

Jim Blackstock

Jim, Here’s a portion of a Roanoke Terminal map circa late 50’s that shows the second bridge you mentioned over US Hwy 460 just east of the Shenandoah Valley line bridge. I had forgotten it ever existed. It would appear that it goes past the Scrap Yard and joins the main at about the 9th St. crossing.

Who knew you could take a westbound movement directly north onto the Shenandoah Valley line (or southbound directly to eastbound) without going into Roanoke Yard? I’m not aware that this was ever done as a standard move. Wonder if this connection dates back to SVRR AM&O days?

John Garner