Early tipple

Mon Mar 18 19:49:10 EDT 2019

I came across the attached photo (mc tip bd 1918) in a 1918 issue of The
Black Diamond. The caption indicates it is one of the tipples of the Mill
Creek Coal & Coke Company. According to what I have read. John Cooper & Co.
(later Mill Creek C&CC) opened the West (Sterling) and East mines in 1884
at the head of Mill Creek. Don't know if each had its own tipple or if they
shared. A couple years later when the N&W chose the tunnel location it was
right on top the Cooper tipple(s). So one source indicates that the picture
showing a tipple straddling a couple tracks with the East portal in the
distance is actually of a replacement build to get the mine operation out
of the way of the tunnel project. It is also indicated that in this same
time period, Cooper built a new facility on West Fork to replace one, two,
or all of the previously mentioned structures. I have attached another
picture (MILL CREEK COAL & COKE TIPPLE AT WEST FORK HOLLOW) that is
identified as being of this tipple. This does not appear to be the tipple
in the picture from the Black Diamond.

As I understand it, Mill Creek also operated mines at Coaldale and Tug on
the other side of the mountain. I don't remember every seeing a picture of
the Coaldate tipple and the literature seems to indicate that the Tug mine
sent all its output to the tipple at West Fork.

So this leaves me with the question of which location's tipple is shown in
the Black Diamond photo? Is anyone aware of any other information
photographic or otherwise that might shed some light on where this tipple
might have been located?

Jim Cochran