Big Spring current image

Fri Apr 19 09:31:26 EDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 9:46 PM NW Mike wrote:

> We stoped in Elliston this afternoon and
>
> met Jim Thompson who owns Big Spring and was knowledgeable about the
> watercress going to market. He was gracious enough to let me take his
> picture. Also, I went about 500 feet north and shot where a local road
> crosses the tracks and a small building with a “salvaged” Train Station
> sign.

Some points of reference for Mike's great photos. The view of the grade
crossing is looking east down the tracks. Directly behind him as he stands
is the Elliston station site (still used for storage by NS) and across the
tracks was part of the water softening plant that was there. The small shed
is on the grounds of the section foreman's house, which is just to the
right of the shed. Elliston Railfan lives there and posts quite a few
photos and videos in Facebook railroad groups, such as Old Dominion
Railfans and others.

Bruce in Blacksburg