N&W 7902 - Expanded to a Question about NKP & Wabash

Sun May 26 12:53:55 EDT 2019

I have a very good friend, a Southern guy, who retired not too long ago from NS general offices.

Like most Southern folks, he didn’t have much good to say about the N&W or how it worked.  For instance – the coal business.  According to Southern folks, N&W should be operating unit coal trains and not fooling around with all that fancy export business.  Lost on them was the fact that N&W didn’t have any power plants on line that could accept unit trains, nor did it have any mines that could load them.  Also lost on them was the nundreds of millions of dollars N&W made over the years hauling coal the way it did.

About 1984 or 1985 I had a conversation with my friend and asked him how the railroad was doing.  Not too well, he said.  If it wasn’t for that billion dollars we had in the bank, we wouldn’t be doing well at all.

Lost on him was the fact that N&W was the one who’d put that billion in the bank.  The Southern certainly didn’t do it.

- Ed King