What is it?

Sat Jun 8 21:08:10 EDT 2019

That’s my guess too. It looks like it has caterpillar treads to help push it along in snowy conditions.

Phil Miller

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 7:39 PM
To: N&W Mailing List
Subject: Re: What is it?

Raymondo -

My guess is that it is a snow blower for cleaning out switches, albeit a somewhat small one.

One railroad where I worked for 20+ years used small jet aircraft engines tied down on flat cars, and angled downward, to do the same thing in the northern climes (like Buffalo.)  I saw those things work back in the 1980s at Enola.  They were very effective at blowing snow and ice, and also spikes, ballast, pieces of scrap iron and anything else which could be turned into a projectile.  In frigid weather, the "snow jet" would have to come back and thaw out the switch again.

-- abramo,

washed-up railroader...

    ... now advocating for the Green New Turnip