SD60s

Sun Jul 7 14:08:38 EDT 2019

 Reality check. Coal power plants have a limited life span and the smaller ones, those producing less than 5000 KW, are being
shut down due to a lack of ROI. Other plants are being shut down or converted to natural gas due to the lower cost of of
natural gas. Natural gas also burns cleaner. None of this has to do with the EPA.

As for the SD60s they are over 20 year old locomotives and probably have reached their end of life span. It was the same for
steam locomotives and probably the vehicles you have driven, at some point maintenance costs more than leasing or buying
new. The newer locomotives, as I understand it since I model 1940 to 1955, are more efficient, have a higher tractive effort, and
run cleaner than the older equipment therefore saving money and increasing profits which is the goal of any company. There
are some older locomotives in use, there are two SD40-2s in Danville,. VA used for switching purposes. I see them weekly on
the mainline that passes by at the end of my street.

Kurt Kramke

 I would call to Mike’s attention the skies over Pittsburgh, Cleveland, south Chicago, etc.  They’re clear.  Even after all the tons of smoke put out by the steel mills and other polluters.  They’re clear.  After all the coal smoke emitted by tens of thousands of steam locomotives skies are clear.  After that marvelous shot of 611 that Mike P. took at Walton, the sky is now clear. Volcanos have spewed thousands of tons of pollution into the air but the skies are now clear. The earth is self-healing despite what some idiots say.  If the EPA wasn’t such a political animal it might be OK but it is.   If he thinks that government will cure all the problems, he needs a wake-up call.   Ed King     From: NW Mailing List Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2019 9:11 AMTo: nw hist Subject: Re: SD60s To both Ed’s, your comments are spot on.  Being only two hours from those coal fields I miss going there to photograph the moving of coal.  Even being near Belews Creek, NC I have a hard time catching the trains in and out.  For the SD60’s, well I really think the SD60E program met it’s intentions just like the SD40E program did.  But with the new AC rebuild program ongoing the newer more compliant locos are meeting their goals as well.  We now have most of the Dash 9’s being rebuilt and the SD70’s.  Just look at my photos and you see the Tier 2 or 3 SD70M-2’s are sidelined now that NS has gone to AC traction.  I am now seeing unit grain trains coming to Winston Salem from Roanoke with two AC locos in place of three DC locos. Mike wonderful photo of 611.