ex NKP & Wabash passenger cars

Fri Jul 26 20:51:48 EDT 2019

 From what I saw on a few visits home to Bluefield, a number of Wabash head end cars were painted and lettered at Roanoke and saw service on the "old" N&W trains. In addition, at least one NKP Pullman (City of Kokomo) got a red letterboard and ran on 3 & 4, but I never saw any of the ex NKP coaches. Some of the Wabash lightweights did make it east, and a few got converted into company service cars. The Western Sunset got painted blue and ran on 3 & 4. Also, the City of Lafayette became an N&W business car briefly before being sold to the Clinchfield.
Jim Nichols
    On Friday, July 26, 2019, 12:42:17 PM CDT, NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

 Following the 1964 merger, did any of the ex Nickel Plate and Wabash passenger cars show up on original N&W trains?  I just reviewed an article from Volume 2, Issue 5 of "The Arrow", and it mentions the premier Wabash trains like The Blue Bird stayed together until the domes were reassigned to the Powhatan Arrow, but what about some of the more generic cars?  For example, did the ex-NKP 1700 series coaches (C&O design with corrugated lower sides) and the N&W P3 and PM coaches enter a general pool where they were used as needed regardless of the train?  What about heavyweight headend equipment?
Marty Flick