RPM Society Meeting/Rapido RS-11s

Sun Jul 28 09:42:34 EDT 2019

On a prior note a member mentioned sand port/cover locations on the exhibit
model..  The N&W units when initially ordered and received had the standard
ALCO arrangement with a sand ports/covers in each notch on each end of the
locomotive hood (2 ports/covers on each end of the locomotive).  Along with
boxy lovers the units were modified placing a single sand port/cap on top
of the roof at each end of the locomotive hood.  Footsteps were installed
in the notches where the original sand port/caps had been.  In all the
pictures I've examined these steps were always installed in the notches on
the long hood end but more often than not they weren't installed in the
notches of the short hood end.  So with that said footsteps in the notches
of the short hood end would be unit specific.  In looking at the pictures
of the exhibit model I don't see the single sand ports/caps that N&W
installed on the top of the models roof at each end of the locomotive.  I
would think that this exhibit model isn't complete-complete and these sand
ports/caps will be on the production models?

With that said this model is absolutely beautiful.  As a long term (over 60
years) N&W HO modeler ( a collector of brass steam but an operator of
models a manufacturer could develop...... a prototypically, accurate HO,
N&W 300 series RS11 has been my foremost wish.  Kudos to Rapido for their
effort.  I very much look forward to the models arriving and operating them
on my model railroad and hope RAPIDO will consider doing future runs with
the models painted black with script and half moon harolds.

Ed Painter - member #70 from Narrows, VA living in Cohutta, GA