Norfolk & Western No. 611 begins trip to Pennsylvania and the Strasburg

Tue Aug 20 14:21:40 EDT 2019

Mr. Keiling

The Class J locomotive were never regularly used on the Shenandoah Division, in the normal steam era, none of the Class Js were equipped with cab signals as were required for the Shenandoah Division until 1957. Mason Cooper has a dispatch record for a Class J from, I believe, Shenandoah, but no date was given.

Normal passenger power in the later years were the Class K2.

In the excursion era, 1982-1994 the 611 was restricted from north of Glasgow, but I’ve never found a specific location or reason, I think it might have been a weight restriction on a bridge or two.

We took it to Glasgow one time, if I recall correctly, in May 1994, turned it there on the wye at the C&O and deadheaded back to Roanoke, the excursion train went east behind diesels.

Ken Miller