Pocahontas Sleeper (was NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 176, Issue 42)

Wed Aug 21 09:49:47 EDT 2019

I don’t have an exact date but I have a 7/62 Official Guide that lists it going to Norfolk and a 4/65 timetable that has it going to Roanoke so sometime in that almost three year period.

Other interesting differences are with the diner-lounge:
7/62: Norfolk to Williamson on 3, Williamson to Petersburg on 4 (where it then overnighted before working Petersburg to Norfolk the next morning on 22).
4/65: Between Crewe and Williamson (3 and 4 passed east of Crewe so this saved the overnight in Norfolk)
10/70: Between Norfolk and Williamson (Perhaps with the Powhatan Arrow discontinued, they had enough cars and crews to let a diner sit in Norfolk for 20 hours. The 4/65 schedule needed four diner-lounges - 2 on the Powhatan Arrow, 1 on the Pocahontas, and 1 doing a Roanoke-Bristol round-trip on 41 and 46; the 10/70 schedule just needed 2, both on the Pocahontas).

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com